Here’s a little experiment with the Brenizer method. The shot is comprised of 32 images using my 50mm 1.8. The basic premise is to try to recreate a massive frame, very wide aperture shot from any lens capable of less than f2 – the lower the better. It is simply a panoramic shot wide open at a close(ish) subject. I’ve got some stuff in the mail, so more to come on this – the little nifty fifty isn’t the best lens for this job, but it was what I had for the experiment, and over-all it didn’t turn out too badly. It did take me 3 goes though – it’s difficult to get the overlaps right to avoid holes and jagged joins.
There was an issue creating the image with Microsoft ICE whereby the table was misaligned and the glasses were all messed up. I used Hugin to create a second panorama, then used masking and distortion in Photoshop to recover the image. If there was much more misalignment I would think the image would be unrecoverable in any reasonable amount of time.